Tuesday, February 24, 2015

I'm Bringin' Avocados Back: Orange Stuffed Avocados

"Avocados are SO 2014," is what you would say if you never came across this blog post, but you won't, because I just catapulted this fatty berry into the year 2015.

For too long, we passionate paleo (or substitute your less annoying word here) practitioners have been boxed into the guacamole corner, sucking at the teet of avocado toast and Jack White's rigorous, albeit delicious, rider demands, but NO MORE, friends!!! For today, we put avocados back upon the pedestal that bacon once so brazenly took from them. Today, I present to you, the stuffed avocado:
Okay, so it's not that new I guess. And yes, guacamole ought to be its own food group. But let's face it: sometimes, you fall into an avocado rut, what with all the halving, the seeding, the peeling. WHAT DOES THIS FRUIT WANT FROM ME???? It's easy to say "fuck it, I'm slicing this bitch and topping my salad with it."
But if you have just a few extra minutes, and slightly more patience than an Oscar ceremony orchestra pit during the Best Sound Editing acceptance speech, then you'll understand what I mean when I say GURRRRRRLLLLLL, let's do this!!
This take has big, fresh Asian flavors, with only a few ingredients. I'll list the "recipe" below, but I use the term loosely, as you can modify this as much as you want depending on what you like (for example, I'm a spicy wimp, but if you're real into it, might I suggest some crushed red pepper flake or a little wasabi??). 
Now, all avocado needs to make its comeback complete is a surprise appearance in a public forum with Katy Perry! I think this year's VMAs would be appropriate.

Orange Stuffed Avocados
Serves 1
  • 1 ripe Haas Avocado, sliced in half and pit removed
  • 1 Navel orange, segmented
  • 1 tsp fish sauce
  • 1 lime
  • coupla green onions
  • salted peanuts 
In a bowl, combine the orange, fish sauce, and lime. Fill avocado halves with orange mixture and top with green onions and peanuts. YOU WIN LIFE NOW.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great blog! Great photos! We'll be back to see the new things you post! Thanks! -- Laura, Hoffman, Alley and Sammy from Canandaigua, NY

Lorna said...

I love how this looks, going to give it a try

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...